Hosts: David and Tressa Oliver
Oliver’s Mapleworks is a family owned and operated sugar camp producing pure maple products with approximately 2000 taps over 35 acres. Maple Syrup has been produced on this property since the 1820s with the original sugar camp being built by Bob Hendry in 1973. David and Tressa Oliver expanded the operation in 1997 and continue to make improvements on an annual basis. The Olivers, along with cousins Richard and Jay Hendry, are involved in every aspect of the operation making it a real family business. The Oliver and Hendry families work alongside each other during the maple syrup season (March and April) to keep the operation running smoothly and to welcome visitors at this special time of year. As you might guess they all love maple syrup as it evokes a “Pure Taste of Spring”.
The star attraction this year will be our 1950 “Old John” John Deere Model B, row crop tractor. Purchased new in 1950 from Smith Farm Equipment, Jasper by Donald G. Oliver, late father of David, it was the first tractor at Elmcreft Dairy Farm, Rideau Ferry Rd., Perth.
Since “Old John” was brought out of retirement in 2016, he has had a carburetor and magneto rebuilt and in March 2016, once again came to life. A clutch and transmission overhaul followed and “ Old John” is currently in his “working clothes” and is a work in progress. So come on out and enjoy a wagon ride being pulled by “Old John”.
Highlights for Your Visit
- We will also have Todd Thompson from Woodland Dynamics, with his Cord King Fuel Wood processor with a Bell’s elevator, working on the property.
- The Board Bandit saw mill will also be working, as well as the Split Fire wood splitter that has been modified to split longer wood for the evaporator.
- Sugar Camp tours, refreshments will be available, along with taffy on snow.
- Blue Barn animals: horses, rabbits, chickens and sheep will welcome your visit.
- Pure Maple Syrup and maple sugar and butter available for sale.
- So wear your boots and plan to experience the “pure taste of spring” at Oliver’s Mapleworks Sugar Camp and Farm.
158 Lakewood Lane
Perth, ON K7H 3C7
Click on any image to see a large version.